Monday, September 17, 2012

Chapter 8: It's Goodbye from Nepal

Then it was time to leave. I was filled with gratitude towards my hosts for the great hospitality they offered. Especially to the monk who arranged for me to see Lumbini and the rest of Kathmandu that I wasn't able to explore with my friends. Had it not been for the association with locals such as them, I would not have experienced the things I did. I was new to the country, a single woman and didn't speak any of the local languages so knowing them helped to understand their culture better, move around with ease, get insider's passage to several places and get many discounts along the way. He refused to accept any cash for the expenses during the trips or costs during my stay at the monastery. I must admit, that was not a comforting thought since I had no idea what it might have amounted to so I had to settle to giving a small donation while parting for the temple upkeep and ongoing construction work. I can only hope it was a fair amount, all things considered. They wished me a safe trip and had a traditional send off by offering me a shawl, a sweet laddu and some almonds. After saying my goodbyes, taking photos and promising to keep in touch, I left for the airport.

As I took off, I hoped to return to this place someday to go river rafting, trekking to either the Everest Base Camp or to any one of the snowy mountains and once again visit mesmerising Pokhara – with the ability to speak a little Hindi, that is. I haven't traveled much around the world to know what I have missed, but I felt a deep connection, a sense of familiarity and respect for Nepal after the trip.

The next thing I remember was touching down in United Arab Emirates. Dubai at night is a very memorable sight, every inch of the land is studded by lights - on highways, on iconic buildings, moving vehicles and the city as a whole. I already felt the contrast in sophistication of the two places. There was much relief to return safely to see the family again. I also needed medical attention and rest to recover from my aggravated bronchitis. I was several kilograms lighter in body mass too.

Fortunately, nothing bad happened during the trip – no one got severely sick enough to go to a hospital, we didn't lose any luggage, no one stole our wallets or phones, and we didn't fall into any unsafe situations. Overall, I thought it was a pretty safe and tourist-friendly country to travel when keeping to crowded areas and daylight hours. There was something simple, warm, accommodating, naiive and unspoilt about this country and its hard working people and it was very humbling to experience this side to humanity.

Funny enough, the only thing I use frequently from all the shopping I did in Nepal is a pair of red slippers I purchased at a Bata store. Everything else - the shawls, the accessories, the souvenirs, the ornaments, the embroidered bags, the linen clothing, the stationery – were given away as gifts. I held onto one embroidered cloth bag for myself, but I had to give that away too when I noticed a flicker of desire in my mother's eyes for it. None of it mattered, really. I had plenty of good memories and in my mind, these were better than any souvenir.

When traveling, it is impossible to anticipate everything, even with all the advice, planning, organising and mental conditioning. Apart from good research and preparation, it's important to have an open mind - because experiences come in varied, often unexpected, forms and to enjoy a culture as much as a foreigner can hope to do, one has to be alert, flexible, considerate and willing to endure the small inconveniences. And it helps greatly to have good company to share the adventure with!


Special Credits:
Kara, Charmaine and Ila (names have been changed)
Chief monk and nuns at the Kathmandu Monastery
Nuns at Gotami Nun's Temple, Lumbini
Backyard Hotel, Thamel
North Face Inn, Pokhara
Ample Travels
The Rough Guide to Nepal, Penguin Books Ltd
Hysh


No comments:

Post a Comment